Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

End of an era... x... two

There are things and there are places that we think will last forever. Or rather, we we never question the very fact of their being there.Always.

As I did with Central Cottage Industries Emporium on Janpath as well as Nirulas in Connaught place in Delhi.But things do change.And institutions do wind up.As I saw to my great sadness yesterday.

The old Cottage Industries building has been brought down and in its place there lies an empty stretch of land, currently being used as a car park.To add to that,where Nirulas-(HotShoppe, Chinese, Ice cream parlour and the Salad bar) stood proudly for the last so many years, there is now a Haldiram's.

As I stood there, trying to take in the completely changed landscape, for a very long,awful moment, I felt a sense of heartbreak.The kind that tells one that life is really not the same anymore.

For a large part of ones memories, of one's 'growing up' years have been wiped away with that.

2 comments:

mudita said...

Vow Sunaina, You were in Delhi! Would have loved to bump into you. By the way will we recognise each other if we do? Thanks for reverting to white(for me). Sorry i did not acknowledge it sooner.
It must seem like a whole new place when landmarks cease to be in the space one was used to having them in. I used to get that feeling whenever i went to Bombay, till I stopped going there altogether. Could not figure out the places anymore. Like becoming a tourist in your own city. Depressing. Mudita.
P.S. Congratulations on your daughter's graduation.

Sunaina Serna Ahluwalia said...

Mudita, Yes I was indeed...and thanks.
We will recognise... Im quite sure!
No blogging for a while?