Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Delhi- Then and Now

"The only constant in life is Change", is a refrain that has always made great sense to me.

As everywhere I go after a gap, I find that things have changed. From one month to another, or more so , from one year to another.

For instance Delhi, a city that I've lived in from the time that I was in Class 11 and now that I've been away from India for almost two decades, see it changing/changed from one visit to the next.

Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

But I really do miss those days when we had Chanakya Cinema, where I saw the best of English movies, followed/preceded by a great meal at Nirulas, for a movie just didn't feel complete without that.

Or then the time that we could sit at the coffee shop in Akbar hotel, just us girls, and talk the night away. For we really did feel pretty safe then..

Or...or...or..

Today on the verge of the Commonwealth games, there's so much happening in terms of construction, flyovers, et all, but the spirit of the Delhi that I know and recognize is somewhat missing.

Possibly lost in all this stuff that goes under the guise of progress and development perhaps?

Or is it what is a natural progression is considered to be all about? For once, I'm unsure....

Delhi then and Delhi now...

No comments: