Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Together- The Magic of Sharing a Cup of Coffee with an Old Friend

In the last couple of posts, I've written about our move to Delhi after a 24 year stay in Oman and how we are in the process of settling down. As is only natural, each move comes with its own share of challenges- some expected and many others, totally unexpected. So it goes without saying that there are good days and there are some bad days as well.


Coffee with friends- always a good idea

This story is about a bad day that turned into a good one- and here is exactly how it panned out. Our WIFI at  home ( MTNL) hadn't been working for the last 4 days and the frustration was topped by the fact that we were unable to register a complaint for the first two of those days because of holidays- 'Ram Naumi' followed by the weekend. The next day, a man came and did something but since we weren't at home to check, he went off telling our Jeeves that it had been done. Or so we all believed until we returned home to see that it was exactly as it had been- No WIFI and the official working hours over since it was past 5 PM.

So we had to wait for the next day, Tuesday the 31st of March. That morning I resolved that if I did just one thing that day, it would be to get the WIFI at home working. 

And so began the process of trying to register a complaint..all over again..

The reason? The complaint registered on the previous day had been marked as completed, therefore closed by the MTNL. After about one whole hour of trying, I finally managed to get through to the number and formally re- registered the complaint. That done, I was told that the person who would attend to the complaint would reach our place after an hour or so. I now had that time to fill and I really didn't want to venture too far in case he actually got there a little earlier. A quick trip to the local bank which took me all of 15 minutes and I was back on our floor. As I approached the corner, I saw that our neighbour's door was open and someone was polishing the doorknob. The time was about 1030 a.m, a reasonable time of day for a visit so I decided to ask him if Aunty ( a retired doctor and the lady of the house ) was available. She was and there was a bonus for me as her daughter, also a doctor and a very old friend of mine happened to be home as well!   

And I was invited to share a very welcome cup of coffee with the two of them. After having informed folks at home exactly where I was so that I could be told immediately when the repair man came in, I went back there. Over coffee and cookies, we chatted and how! Years of catching up packed into that one hour and so much of news and information exchanged. Time just flew and before I knew it, an hour was up and I decided to head back home- renewed,   refreshed and with a new surge of determination. 

Goes without saying, I soldiered on, dealt with the crisis despite all the odds and 'Project WIFI restoration' was accomplished 5 hours later that same day. Two days later as I sit down to write this story, the WIFI is still working but we definitely have our fingers ( and toes) crossed!

So there it is in a nutshell-Most times, it's the company that matters more than the advice, and that is the power of being #together.







No comments: