Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2009

Life without coffee

Day 6 and counting.
For those are the number of days that I’ve managed life without coffee.

Reason- Coffee does not go well with the Homeopathic medicines that I’m currently having.

For someone whose day had been structured around the number of cups of coffee in a day, life is not easy, giving up that same basic premise.

Then of course, there are the very real withdrawal symptoms.
The headaches, the loss of concentration, not feeling like my usual composed self, et all.

Along with dealing with the fact of having to avoid all my ‘associations’ with coffee. Because these are the very real triggers that just might make me crumble.

Such as not going anywhere near Starbucks, Darcy’s, Costa. Simply because even the slightest whiff of that delightful fragrance of coffee that seems to floating come out of the open doors, tempting even a non coffee drinker, might just do me in.

I’ve also tried very hard to fill up that vacuum with a range of other hot beverages that might possibly substitute for the real thing- hot milk, a range of teas, or even cocoa, but nothing seems to do the trick …

Yet, I doggedly persist, for I know that the first few days are usually the hardest and that if I was to cave in now, I might not be able to do it ,yet again.

And suddenly realize that I have a whole new found respect for all those people who’ve ever battled with other issues such as quitting smoking…or then alcohol…

2 comments:

mudita said...

Hi Sunaina, Totally empathise with you. I savour my morning cuppa coffee like nothing on earth. Nobody messes with that sacred cup. And to avoid withdrawal symptoms of any kind i refrain in indulging myself with a second cup at any other time of the day, strictly. Poor you, how many more days before you can go back to your coffee? Mudita.

Sunaina Serna Ahluwalia said...

Hey Mudita, Long time....
At least 4 months to go, doing much better now. It's been about two weeks.