Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

What 'best' memories are made of

Last evening  I spent some time looking at some old photographs. Correction,  they were not really'old 'photographs, but they date back to just about five years ago.

And what I saw saddened me somewhat. Because many of the people in those photographs were no more. Particularly, those who were in their seventies then - I counted and at least six of them weren't alive any more.

I spent some time thinking about it, then realised that there was really  nothing that anyone could have done about it. All of them had died of age related illnesses and despite medication and hospitalisation, they eventually passed away.

Memories are made of this
As the old adage goes, 'time and tide really wait for no one' and the fact of the matter is that all of us will be gone one day. All we can do is to keep the happiest memories of  those who are now gone, close to our hearts and every now and then take a break, pause  and reflect on the best they had to offer us.

So one of the best things one can do is to look at a flower, a garden, a sunset and think of them. For memories are truly made of these and by associating the things we love with all the things they loved, we are definitely doing the right thing.

That of keeping them alive ...forever...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful thought Sunainaji... one I live with every single day of my life...
Because separation is an equally difficult thing too, just like the passing away of dear ones...
I live oceans apart from my family and the little things in which I find happiness keep me going :-)
Thanks for sharing such a lovely post...

PS - Recently, I have been writing such stuff too... do hop over to Drishti sometime..

Sunaina Serna Ahluwalia said...

True Archana- time and tide really wait for no one.
People we love will pass on and one day it will be our turn.

I therefore believe-So make the most of each day and make sure its memorable in one way or another.

Read your post on your brother- so many similarities there too

Alok singhal said...

Thoughts of them keep them alive with us; looking at nature and thinking that our dear ones who have left also loved the same nature, will help us be with them too.

Beautiful post!

Sunaina Serna Ahluwalia said...

Many thanks Alok. Glad you identify with the thought process...