Search This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Sometimes 'losing' isn't really all that bad- A true story


What is it that really makes someone's day, the week, or gives a new meaning to life itself?  This is something that I've dwelt upon every now and then, and I'm sure that all of you have done so too.And one of the key realisations that I've come to is that friends can really make the vital difference. In particular, the meaningful moments and interactions with them that can change everything and make life so much better. 



Another day, another opportunity

I let my mind go back in time and I remember myself in Class 2, at Modern High School in Calcutta. I was taking part in a 100 mtr race and was waiting on edge for my parents to arrive. But there seemed to be some delay, and as I came upto the start of the race I saw my only mother and brother coming in. The disappointment of my father not being able to make it was intense, but I was happy, just looking at my mom and brother.So much so that I didn't focus on what I should have been concentrating on. The race was about to commence and the Sports teacher blew the first whistle..


I was still looking the stands to see if my family had settled down.

A swift, sharp, second whistle and that was it. The race had begun.

But I was left behind, still staring as all the other little girls began their race. 


Goes without saying that I started and finished the race.And came last. 


Ironically, I was the girl who had consistently stood first in all the heats so far.

The disappointment was intense and I remember crying bitterly. 


I also remember a sweaty, grubby hand suddenly reaching out and giving me a deliciously cool peppermint toffee( my favourite).


And then I looked up, it was Christine, my best friend at that time and also my closest competitor in studies as well as sports. Christine had stood first that day and I was last.



But it suddenly didn't matter that day.Or forever after.We were friends and in that moment, Christine had reached out to me and in those moments, the pain, hurt and the ignominy of losing just melted away. I felt much better and realised that losing that race really wasn't the end of the world.



After all, tomorrow would be another day, and there would be another race...



And another...



As elusive as it may seem, optimism can be found all around - in the laughter of children, in the excitement on your pet's face when you get back after a long day, and in your friend handing you a peppermint after you have come last in the race!











2 comments:

Unknown said...

Super!! Simple and endearing... :)

Sunaina Serna Ahluwalia said...

Many thanks Geeta!