Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2012

RIP- Rani ( Guddi) Bhuaji

Early this morning at 445 pm IST, my Guddi Bhuaji passed away in Toronto.

She had been ill with pneumonia and in hospital for the last six days and from what we understood, the family was prepared for the worst. 


A prolific painter

Last evening, I called my cousin Leena( her daughter) wanting to find out how she was doing. Leena asked me if I wanted to talk to her- telling me to say whatever  I wanted to- you see she couldn't speak any longer, but she was fully capable of hearing and comprehending. All I could say was "I love you Bhuaji" and even across the thousands of miles that seperated  us, I could hear the hissing of the hospital machines as they worked in the background. There was of course, no response from the other side, but I knew that she could hear me. I then handed the phone over to my daughter Neha and asked her to speak as well. Neha told her exactly the same words and them we were back on the line with Leena, who just asked us to pray for her.She also told me that she had heard and understood me and lifted her hand in acknowledgement.

 That was something so moving that I cried right there and then.

Then Leena and I told each other "I love you" and that moment was heartbreaking.Seperated by thousands of miles, bound to each other by a person who we were slowly, but surely losing, yet unable to do anything about it....

An uneasy night followed and I tossed and turned- afraid of what the next morning would bring.The fears were justified, for we learnt that she had passed away peacefully in the hospital. The time was 445 am IST. From what her husband, my Jeet Uncle  told my father Harnam  ( her older brother) he was with her in her room the whole night, the family having finally gone home.  She was having trouble breathing and he knew that she was in a great deal of discomfort.Having refused to go onto a ventilator to help her breathe easier for the last six days, it was a very, very painful time for her and he was aware of it. As he described it, he strated praying that she would have an easier time and it was almost as if someone or something had heard his prayer for she seemed to be breathing easier. And all the while he sat there holding her hand.....


Rani( Devinder ) Luthra-RIP

Then some time later, he realised that she was silent...not breathing.

And just knew...

Calling for help was the logical next step and when the medics arrived, he learnt that he was right- she was gone.. Thankfully, the end had been calm and peacaeful and as we say in Punjabi, " Santan wargi maut aaye" (she died like a saint does)
A loving wife, mom and grandmom, (2010)


The cremation is set for tommorrow, Sunday and I am well aware that the whole community that she was such an integral part of will be there. As I will too, in my thoughts and heart.


I could go on and on  about my Guddi Bhuaji who is no more.But right now, all I can and will say, "RIP Bhuaji, we love you forever...."

3 comments:

GOD said...

Sunaina, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your Bhuaji's heart lives on in you. May the family be blessed and happy always.

sharelot said...

Its very nice picture your Family i really like Thanks for sharing with me !!!!!

Sunaina Serna Ahluwalia said...

Thank you and appreciate the thought- very kind of you...