Search This Blog

Friday, September 4, 2009

"Tell me a story.".....a personal recollection

Since people began to communicate with each other, "Tell me a story" has been a request of both children and adults. Like I always did...with my father.

And do so, till today, when just the two of us get a chance to spend time together....

As children, whenever we could manage, my brother and myself would wait him to tell us one of his entralling tales. I don't know what he did, but all his stories, whether based on real life incidents,were absolutely thrilling , taking us into a whole new world, where we could actually almost see and experience all that he used to talk about.

Particularly memorable were his stories about Air Marshal Arjun Singh ( obviously one of my dad's heroes)and some of his daredevil missions in the skies,then of Naval submarines, particularly the INS Vikrant and the things people did on board,of Guru Gobind Singh, Shivaji Maratha, Rani Laxmi bai...

Then of course, there were funny stories too, which consisted of make believe characters and an extended storyline where the four of us as a family would get involved in their lives and adventures. The beauty of these tales were that they could go on and on endlessly, simply becauase there was never really a beginning and an end to these stories.

Keeping both of us enthralled for hours and hours on end, repeatedly begging him, "Pop, one more, one more"....to which he would always, always, always oblige...

Today, as I'm reminded of those days, I'd like to take this opportunity to say "Thank You Pop, for that's where I really learnt my love of storytelling and now that of writing stories"

I loved your stories then and love them even more...Now..


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.