Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Alls well that ends well...

I now have my hotmail account back with me as of this afternoon.
Almost 72 hours after I lost control of it, while a hacker located somewhere in the world had taken over, running riot, sending out mails to contacts in my address book telling them that I was stranded in the UK and in dire need of money.

The feelings that I'm feeling right now are a mixture of various emotions.

Sheer relief that I have what is rightfully mine, now back with me.
Anger at the person who took over my life and monitored what looked to be my electronic activity for this period..
Some amount of pleasure when I think of how that person has been thwarted in a relatively short period of time.

The realization that what has happened to me can happen to almost anyone, anytime...

Gratitude towards Microsoft, who after doing the necesary verification, albiet at their own time and pace, did realise the enormity of the situation, along with the immense potential damage and provided me with the tools to be able to regain control of my account.

As they say, "All's well that ends well."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sunaina-

I am reading this post after sending second email to you.

Very good that you regained control. I thought microsoft will never pay attention to your messages.

But in first place what is bugging me how the hacker came to know your password? It is almost impossible to log in to someone's email account by guessing and entering password randomely. After few attempts, sites like gmail, yahoo, hotmail swing in action and even block account from few minutes to indefinite period.

Most probably you accidently downloaded software from some site. And that software automatically sent your password to hacker without your knowledge.

For security, better to clean your hard disk.

OK, all is well that ends well.

Take care...

-neo.

Aparna said...

Such a terrible thing to have happened!
I am shocked. It is good you have managed to sort things out.
There are so many weirdos out there, it makes me worry just thinking about it.

Sunaina Serna Ahluwalia said...

Abhijit and Aparna Thanks.

The biggest Lesson learnt in all this.Never ever give up, particularly if you are fighting for what is rightfully yours..

Second, stay calm and collected and believe in yourself.